UPDATE: Delaware Escapee Turns Himself In - 47 ABC - Delmarva's Choice

UPDATE: Delaware Escapee Turns Himself In

Posted: Updated:

SNOW HILL, Md. - The escaped inmate at the center of a rigorous search on Monday, has turned himself in.

The search for 23-year-old Jessey Dudley resulted in the precautionary lockdown of several schools in Worcester County on Monday. In the afternoon, police lifted the lockdowns after investigators made sure the area was safe, and gave the all clear.

WMDT followed officers' every move, for hours during the man-hunt, hoping to help track down the wanted suspect.

The suspect's photo was flashed all over parts of Worcester County Monday, alerting residents, schools even nursing homes that a wanted Delaware man may be in the area. Initial reports came through that Dudley was thought to be armed and dangerous. On March 11th, he was given a one-day pass to leave the Sussex Community Corrections Center, but never returned.

At 8:30 AM, all Snow Hill schools were placed on lockdown. A short time later, Dudley was spotted near Snow Hill High at the Pleasant Manor Apartment complex.

"He opened the back door over here and I asked him his name and he said Jessey. I grabbed him and said you're under arrest, and he pulled away from me and fled out the front door," said Snow Hill Police Chief Kirk Daugherty.

WMDT questioned the chief about the incident saying "Was there a struggle? Did he try to fight you off." The chief responded saying "no he just pulled away from me."

Just before noon, officers began searching nearby homes for Dudley.

"They were in there with all their guns. It kind of scared me a little bit that's all I know," said a Snow Hill resident.

A half an hour passed, and Pocomoke schools were put on high alert. Then, an apparent tip sent the Worcester County Sheriff's dogs back inside the same home sniffing for clues. Minutes later, Dudley's mom confronted officers, frantically begging them not to shoot her son.

"He is not dangerous whatsoever. He doesn't like guns somebody said he had one which is not true. He had come up here to help me move and got scared that's it," said Cherry Dudley.

At 1:30 p.m. the lockdowns were lifted, and the suspect was no longer believed to be dangerous, but at that time he was still on the run.

The center he walked away from is not a secured prison, but mostly a facility where offenders are often given access to leave for work or treatment sessions.

Around 11:00 PM on Monday night, Dudley turned himself in. He was then arrested on the warrant for escape. Dudley is now also facing additional charges for resisting arrest, and allegedly assaulting the officer that tried to arrest him. He is currently being held at the Worcester County Detention Center, waiting to be extradited back to Delaware.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMDT. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.