MARYLAND - In the last 5 days, there have been two separate home fires sparked after attempting to unfreeze pipes.
The most recent happened Tuesday around 5:30 PM in Talbot County, where a resident tried to repair a pipe that had broken while frozen with a blow torch. We spoke with the Maryland Fire Marshal's Office who offered tips on how to safely work with these situations.
Senior Deputy State Fire Marshal, Tom Harr, says a good way to thaw pipes is, "a small electric space heater, a heat lamp, something in that affect that doesn't have a direct flame coming out of it. It's the slower process but it's safer than the open flame." But his first bit of advice, is to hire a professional.