MARYLAND - As the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins head to the playoffs, the Better Business Bureau of Greater Maryland is cautioning fans to purchase tickets wisely. They say be careful, by not wiring money, and watch for counterfeit tickets. Here is a list of tips to keep you, and your money safe.
· Be wary of buying from someone on the street. You may wind up at the gate with fake tickets.
· When buying tickets online, verify the seller's legitimacy. Search for the company or website on www.bbb.org. Is the seller BBB Accredited, what is their BBB Rating and does it respond to complaints? If you see the BBB Accredited Business logo on a website, be sure it is legitimate and links to their BBB Business Review.
· Always use a credit card or PayPal, so that charges can be disputed. Never pay the seller by wire transfer. Ask for a picture of the ticket, verify it using the venue's seating chart, and get a receipt.
· Make sure the payment processing page is secure, denoted by an "https://" at the beginning of the url.
· When buying tickets through an auction site, choose a trusted seller with recent, positive reviews. Never go along with a seller who wants to take the transaction off the site - you'll lose any protections the site may offer with a private transaction.
· If you are buying through an online classified site, do not wire money. There is no way to retrieve your money if the tickets do not arrive or are counterfeit.
For more consumer tips and information, visit the Better Business Bureau's website.