WMDT 47 NEWS - Both Assateague Island National Seashore, and Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge are planning on shutting down while Hurricane Sandy makes its way towards them.
Assateague Island National Seashore:
- All camping will be closed by 11:00 a.m. Saturday, October 27.
- The Over Sand Vehicle (OSV) route will close by 7 p.m. Saturday, October 27.
- Assateague Island National Seashore and Assateague State Park will close Sunday, October 28, at noon to all vehicle and pedestrian traffic. This closure will remain in effect at least through Tuesday, October 30.
Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge:
- The Over-Sand Vehicle (OSV) Zone will close Saturday night.
- All beach parking lots will close to vehicle access, Saturday evening at 8:00 PM.
- On Sunday, limited vehicle parking will be available near the Toms Cove visitor center.
- The refuge will close to ALL public access, starting Sunday evening at 8:00 PM and will remain closed until the effects of HURRICANE SANDY have subsided.
Both parks will be assessing damages before re-opening to the public. That date is not available at this time. When the information becomes available, WMDT will update.