HARRINGTON, Del. - A weekend house fire in Harrington has been ruled accidental. According to the Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office, the fire was reported by the occupant of the Whiteleysburg Road home, around 8:21 PM on Saturday night.
The victim reportedly found the fire, in a room with an operating wood stove, after the smoke detectors went off. The victim and the family pet were able to get out safely.
The Fire Marshal's investigation showed that there was a failure of the chimney components of the wood stove, which ignited structural framing members.No injuries were reported, and damages are estimated at $100,000. The Red Cross is assisting the family.