NEWARK, Del. - St. Elizabeth completed the Cinderella story as the #9 seed in the DIAA Boys' Basketball Tournament defeating defending champion Smyrna 60-49 to capture the school's first state championship.
Smyrna got off to the early lead in the first half courtesy of senior Caleb Mathews and Jaymeir Garnett continuing their strong offensive presence from most of this season. Smyrna led by as many as 7 points in the second, but headed into the half Smyrna took the five point lead until the tables would shortly turn.
The Vikings came out of the break and attacked inside the paint against the Smyrna bigs. Cutting the lead to just two headed into the fourth quarter, Guy DeBonaventura was able to hit a three close to the Smyrna bench to put the Vikings up for good.
Three Vikings finished in double figures with a game-high 17 points from Jordan Brown.
- Police seize over three thousand bags of heroin along with marijuana during traffic stop
- UPDATE: At least 25 horses found dead at Wicomico Co. property; investigation ongoing
- Harris addresses wind farm at town hall
- Remembering CAMP Rehoboth co-founder Steve Elkins
- St. Patrick's Day impacts local sales
- Foodie Friday: Doña Maria's Pupuseria