RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina's newest and biggest political spender is a private investment firm founder and a virtual unknown in state politics. And he's saying little for now about his reasons for quickly giving millions to help influence elections.
Campaign finance reports show Greg Lindberg - founder and chairman of Durham-based Eli Global - gave more than $3.4 million to North Carolina campaign and independent expenditure committees last year.
Almost all of it went to three Republican-leaning groups. Lindberg's donations appear to make him the highest donor in state politics, based on an analysis by The Associated Press. The total he gave is more than what was raised by either major political party in the state or Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper in 2017 - mostly a non-election year except for municipal races.
- Democrats unveil bill to ban assault-type rifles in Del.
- Del. woman, non-profit organization employee indicted on multiple fraud charges
- Unconscious driver arrested on DUI charges in Wicomico Co.
- Md. catholic school principal arrested on multiple DUI charges
- Smoke detectors being recalled as they may not detect smoke
- Mumps outbreak linked to Hispanic dance festival in Del.