ALEXANDRIA, Va. - (AP) - A police officer accidentally fired his gun while on assignment at a northern Virginia middle school. No one was injured.
Alexandria Police say a school resource officer at George Washington Middle School accidentally discharged his weapon in his office at the school.
It occurred shortly after 9 a.m. Tuesday, while school was in session.
The officer reported the incident to his supervisor and to the school. Police are investigating.
The school day continued without incident.
The officer is a five-year veteran of the department. He has been placed on administrative leave while the shooting is investigated.
- Code Purple extends services as cold temps continue
- Police search for Del. man wanted on multiple charges
- Man charged in connection to 2017 incident at Somerset Co. Dept. of Social Services
- No one injured in Kent County house fire; cause identified
- Physician, 78, sentenced on Medicaid fraud, drug charges in Va.
- Deputies: Acetaminophen and oxycodone found during Dorchester Co. traffic stop; one arrested