CHINCOTEAGUE, Va. - Officials are investigating the death of a humpback whale after the animal washed up on a beach, in Accomack County.
According to the Virginia Aquarium, a whale was reported dead on a Chincoteague beach around mid-day, on Sunday. The aquarium says on Monday, a necropsy was performed on the immature humpback whale.
Officials report the following in their findings:
-There are no immediate findings from the necropsy as the animal was more significantly decomposed than originally anticipated
-There are no external signs of human interaction that might have caused the stranding
- Over 100 doses of alprazolam found in Dover; two charged
- Police: Man wanted after woman was slashed in assault incident in Salisbury
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Kent Co.
- UPDATE: Seaford man pleads guilty for role in shooting death of 18-year-old man
- Man arrested on child pornography charges in Dover
- UPDATE: Mistrial declared in Sussex Co. rape and kidnapping case; Dover man out on bond