VIRGINIA - An environmental group is putting pressure on local poultry companies to adapt more sustainable practices.
Virginia's Eastern Shore is just one the places Mighty Earth is looking to bring change.
Organizers tell us they were drawn to the shore because of the recent increase of poultry operations, but also because a Tyson is one of the leaders in the poultry industry and a facility is located here.
Right now the organization is calling on the company to adapt more responsible practices throughout their entire supply chain, such as growing healthier chickens, to being conscious of the impact the industry has on local waterways.
"We have a national campaign that is looking to persuade them as an industry leader to improve how they raise chickens, ways that they source their grain," says Glenn Hurowitz, the CEO for Mighty Earth.
47 ABC reached out to Tyson, who tells us that they are aware of the organizations claims, and say the company has already made progress over the years.
A representative from Tyson responded with this statement:
- Rehoboth capital improvements focus of budget talks
- Questions asked following end of neighborhood watch
- Resort town changes view of ocean for visitors
- JTVCC Inmate sues DOC over allege "torture" after uprising
- Salisbury officials celebrate groundbreaking of Riverwalk amphitheatre
- Man guilty on multiple charges after previous conviction in Del.