VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Officials say that a Delmar man pleaded guilty and was sentenced on Tuesday in Virginia Beach.
According to the Commonwealth Attorney's office in Virginia Beach, 24-year-old Phillip Timmons of Delmar, pleaded guilty to abduction and use of a firearm.
He will be sentenced on October 11.
Timmons was arrested after investigators say he kidnapped a Powellville woman in October of 2015, who was his ex-girlfriend, and he tried to take her over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and eventually to Florida "to spend one last night with her." Court documents allege that Timmons was armed.
The abduction was reportedly stopped due to high winds on the tunnel. Investigators say that the victim was able to jump in the driver's seat and drive to a police station.
Court documents show that Timmons jumped onto the truck while she was driving and tried to stop her. After the victim arrived to the police station, she reportedly told police that she had been kidnapped, and a struggle ensued between police and Timmons. Timmons was eventually taken into custody.
Timmons also faces charges in Wicomico County including home invasion and kidnapping.
- Police seize over three thousand bags of heroin along with marijuana during traffic stop
- UPDATE: At least 25 horses found dead at Wicomico Co. property; investigation ongoing
- Harris addresses wind farm at town hall
- Remembering CAMP Rehoboth co-founder Steve Elkins
- St. Patrick's Day impacts local sales
- Foodie Friday: Doña Maria's Pupuseria