NEW CHURCH, Va. - The Accomack County Sheriff's Office says a New Church man has been charged with second degree murder in connection to a shooting death that happened on April 1st.
That morning at around 5:20, deputies responded to Silverthorne Road in New Church where they found a man who had been shot, officials said. According to police, EMS workers pronounced the man dead at the scene. Police were able to identify the victim as Patrick Wescott, 44, of New Church.
Police say investigators soon learned that before being shot, Wescott had been in an altercation with 67-year-old Lonnie Medlin, also of New Church. Medlin was developed as a murder suspect and police issued a warrant for his arrest.
Medlin is charged with second degree murder and the use of a firearm in the commission of second degree murder. He was released on $5,000 secured bond, officials said.
The Accomack County Sheriff's Office is asking anyone with additional information that could forward their investigation to call the sheriff's office at 757-787-1131 or 7557-824-5666.
- Abandoned house demolished on Isabella Street
- New bill aims to create shared opioid overdose data for first responders
- Centuries old Harcum family farm in jeopardy
- Pot hole season hits the Eastern Shore
- PRMC and ambulance company in hot water over Medicare fraud allegations
- Filing deadline quickly approaching for 2018 Gubernatorial Primary Election in Maryland