News

UPDATE: Plans for Texas church reportedly include demolition after shooting

SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Texas - Following a mass shooting of a Texas church, there are reports of plans to demolish the place of worship. Twenty-six people were killed in the incident.

According to the Associated Press, Pastor Frank Pomeroy reportedly told leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention that the pain is too great to continue using the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs as a place of worship. Pomeroy's 14-year-old daughter was apparently among the 26 victims killed in a shooting carried out by Devin Kelley on Sunday morning, in Wilson County, TX.

Plans for the church reportedly include demolition and hopes of turning the site into a memorial for the victims of the Texas church shooting.

Texas and federal authorities continue to investigate the mass church shooting.

--

Authorities continue to investigate the mass shooting at a Texas church which left over two dozen people dead, in Wilson County. Federal investigators have reportedly been offered assistance from a tech company in accessing the shooter's phone.

The Associated Press (AP) reports that Vice President Mike Pence and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott attended and and spoke at a memorial service for the victims of the First Baptist Church shooting, in Sutherland Springs, TX. The packed memorial was reportedly held at the Floresville High School football stadium, in Texas. According to AP, in his message, Vice President Pence said "whatever animated the evil that descended on that small church, of the attacker's desire was to silence their testimony of faith, they failed."

Wilson County law enforcement and federal authorities continue to investigate the shooting that happened on Sunday,  resulting in 26 deaths, including an unborn baby of one of the victims. According to the FBI, investigators previously said that they where having trouble unlocking Devin Kelley's phone. The apparently refused to identify the type of phone. 

ABC News reports that in a statement on Wednesday, Apple Inc. says "Our team immediately reached out to the FBI after learning from their press conference on Tuesday that investigators were trying to access a mobile phone. We offered assistance and said we would expedite our response to any legal process they send us."

Over the course of the investigation, authorities revealed that the shooter, Kelley, had previously escaped from a New Mexico mental health center, in 2012, where he was under pretrial confinement stemming from charges of assault against his Ex-wife and her child. According to the Associated Press, the U.S. Air Force acknowledged that they didn't enter Kelley's criminal history into the federal database as required by military rules.

The mass shooting at the First Baptist Church remains under investigation.


More Stories in the News