Questions Surround Man's Death in Ocean City PD Custody

Questions Surround Man's Death in...

OCEAN CITY, Md. - An Ocean City traffic stop that seemed routine late Monday night, is raising a number of questions.

Now State Police are stepping in to handle the case according to spokesperson, Greg Shipley.

"Maryland State Police Homicide Unit Investigators are leading this investigation at the request of the Ocean City police chief. This is something that we do routinely."

 A 27-year-old father of two is dead. Police say Byron Tunnell was cleared by medics and staff at a local hospital prior to his medical episode.

"What we believe preliminarily occurred is that just before 11 o clock on Monday night an Ocean City police officer stopped a car for a traffic violation. The driver didn't immediately stop but when he did...he got out of the car he told officers he was suspended.", said Greg Shipley of the Maryland State Police.

"Police report that  Tunnell eventually stopped his car right here in the 400 block of Bayshore Drive. And neighbors tell me they saw him get tasered right here in the front yard of his own home."

Shipley says Tunnell tried to run from police.  

"He ran to a nearby house, got under a porch. Officers the took him into custody. As he was running they saw him discarding what  was later found to be baggies of crack cocaine".

Friends of Tunnell say he was a good guy and wasn't into hard drugs.

Unanswered questions remain including an alleged confession to police that the young father may have ingested drugs prior to his arrest.

And that only leads to more questions, questions that a generic statement can't answer.

Ocean City Police tell 47 ABC that the officers involved in this case are still on the job, while the department conducts an internal investigation.

Maryland State Police say the medical examiner is planning to perform an autopsy today, which will include a toxicology report.

We spoke to several neighbors who say they are shocked because Tunnell seemed fine when police had him handcuffed and standing beside a squad car Tuesday morning.



More Stories in the News