News

UPDATE: Seventeen dead, injuries reported after shooting at Florida school; suspect identified

PARKLAND, Fla. - An 19-year-old suspect has been identified, after officials say that 17 people are dead as a result of a school shooting that happened in Parkland, Florida.

ABC News reports that the Broward County Sheriff's Office responded to a shooting at Stoneman Douglass High School on Wednesday afternoon. According to ABC News, at least 14 people were injured as a result of the incident. Law enforcement says that 17 people are dead following the shooting in Southern Florida. The 14 victims were reportedly taken to hospitals following the shooting.

According to Broward County officials, 12 victims were found inside the school, two were outside of the school, one on a nearby street, and two more died from their injuries at a hospital. Authorities say the shooting began outside of the school.

Authorities report that they recovered an AR-15 rifle with multiple magazines.

The Associated Press (AP) reports aerial television news footage showed police in olive fatigues, with weapons drawn, entering the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and dozens of students could be seen frantically running and others quickly walking out.

As of 4:15 PM, officials report the shooter is in custody. Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel says 19-year-old Nicolas Cruz was identified as the shooter. Cruz was reported to be previously expelled from the school.

The investigation is ongoing.

For more on the school shooting, click here

 


 


More Stories in the News