HARDEEVILLE, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina state police are investigating a shootout that left a man dead and two officers wounded.
Jasper County Sheriff Chris Malphrus says the officers were responding to a report of a man shooting at a woman Thursday evening when a man came out of the home in Hardeeville, firing his gun. The officers returned fire, killing the Hispanic man, whose name has not been released.
Malphrus says Deputy Justin Smith was shot in the shoulder and hand. Hardeeville police Sgt. Kelvin Grant was wounded in the armpit. Both were being treated at a Savannah, Georgia, hospital.
Smith has been with the department two years; Grant since 2010.
State Law Enforcement Division spokesman Thom Berry says Smith is white and Grant is black.
State police investigate most officer involved shootings in South Carolina.
- Gun in carry-on leads to charges against Delaware senator
- Dover man sentenced after being caught with a gun twice in six months
- Cheswold man sentenced after raping, then trying to hire someone to kill his wife
- Carper says repealing ACA would cripple the fight against opioid addiction
- Millsboro man pleads guilty to robbery and other charges
- Rehoboth man convicted of robbery and carjacking