MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - A defense lawyer is being criticized for telling a Tennessee jury that women are "especially good" at lying "because they're the weaker sex."
The Commercial Appeal in Memphis reports (http://memne.ws/2pmNhN3) a jury Friday found wealthy businessman Mark Giannini not guilty of three counts of rape. The newspaper said the woman he was accused of raping left crying and screaming.
Attorney Steve Farese made the comments during closing arguments in the case. Giannini had been accused of raping the woman when she came to his house for a job interview. Farese maintains that the sex was consensual and has questioned the woman's credibility.
Memphis Area Women's Council executive director Deborah Clubb calls Farese's comments "absolutely despicable."
Farese tells the newspaper that his job "is not to care if anybody gets offended" and "smart people will see it for what it is."
Information from: The Commercial Appeal, http://www.commercialappeal.com
- Maryland governor to sign bills to fight opioid addiction
- Crisfield holds hearing on areas of concern
- Foreclosure victims offered a Fresh Start
- OC officials urge beach goers not to go into the water until Saturday
- Md. officials launch campaign to prevent future boating accidents
- Ocean City stressing pedestrian safety ahead of Memorial Day weekend