DETROIT - (AP) - Mitsubishi is recalling more than 50,000 Outlander Sport SUVs because the rear hatch lift gate can suddenly fall on people.
The company says in documents posted Friday by U.S. safety regulators that the recall covers certain SUVs from the 2011, 2012 and 2016 model years.
Mitsubishi says the outer tube on the lift gate supports may not have been treated properly to prevent rust. That can make the tube corrode when exposed to road salt and water and allow the gas that holds up the hatch to leak out. It was unclear if anyone was injured by a falling hatch.
Mitsubishi will notify owners and dealers will replace the lift gate supports for free. The company didn't say in the documents when the recall would begin.
- Ocean City Wind Turbine Petition Gets Support from Mayor, City Council
- Officials seek new borrow areas for Ocean City beach replenishment project
- Southwest Airlines offers apology, $5K, to passengers on damaged jet
- UPDATE: Two arrested in connection with 2017 murder investigation
- UPDATE: Wicomico Co. man sentenced for 2017 rape of relative
- Foodie Friday: Blacksmith Bar & Restaurant