UPDATE: Man arrested in connection with two Salisbury bank robberies

UPDATE: Man arrested in connection to PNC Bank robbery in Sa

SALISBURY, Md. - A man is facing robbery and assault charges, after deputies say he led authorities on a police chase after robbing two banks, in Salisbury.

The Wicomico County Sheriff's Office says on Tuesday, around 10:40 AM, deputies responded to the PNC Bank, in the 1500 block of South Salisbury Boulevard, in reference to a robbery that had just happened. After further investigation, deputies learned that 38-year-old Bobby Lee Hornsby Jr., of Salisbury, went into the bank, and handed a bank teller a note demanding money and indicating that he had a gun. Hornsby then reportedly fled the area in a black Chrysler 200. 

Then at approximately 12:38 PM, members of the Salisbury Police Department responded to the Hebron Savings Bank, located at 1008 W. Main Street.  Police personnel were able to determine that an unmasked suspect had entered the bank and demanded money. The suspect fled  with an undisclosed amount of money.

The investigation revealed that Hornsby matched the suspect in the Hebron Savings Bank robbery.

According to the report, other allied law enforcement agencies including the Salisbury Police Department and Maryland State Police were notified of the suspect and vehicle description. During a search of the area, detectives with the Salisbury Police Department located Hornsby and his vehicle in the area of Route 13 and Vine Street. 

The 38-year-old then fled in his vehicle when police attempted to approach Hornsby, prompting a pursuit. The pursuit reportedly traveled through Salisbury and ended in the area of Route 50 and Route 50 Bypass, near White Lowe Road. Hornsby was apparently forced to stop his vehicle by the pursuing units. At that time, law enforcement says Hornsby purposefully rear ended a Wicomico County Sheriff's Office vehicle, causing minor property damage.

Hornsby was then arrested for both incidents and is charged with robbery, theft, assault second degree, assault first degree, resisting arrest, and eluding police. He is currently in custody of the Wicomico County Sheriff's Office pending transfer to the Wicomico County Dentention Center.


More Stories in the News