PRINCESS ANNE, Md. - UPDATE: On May 26th, Sheref Hayward had a status conference hearing in Somerset County Circuit Court.
A competency hearing date was set for on June 27th.
The suspect in a brutal domestic violence attack in Princess Anne was in court Tuesday morning for a status hearing.
Sharef Hayward is facing 14 criminal counts, including first and second degree murder, child abuse and violating a protection order.
The judge checked in on the state and the defense before moving the case to trial. The defense says they are waiting for a competency evaluation for Hayward. Both sides are additionally waiting for the autopsy of Airealle Sells to be completed.
Hayward is accused of attacking his girlfriend Airealle Sells and her children with a knife and hammer on December 6th. The 25-year-old mother died about a week after the attack.
The next status hearing has been scheduled for May 26th, officials said.
- Pot hole season hits the Eastern Shore
- PRMC and ambulance company in hot water over Medicare fraud allegations
- Filing deadline quickly approaching for 2018 Gubernatorial Primary Election in Maryland
- UPDATE: Milton man charged in connection with fight at basketball game
- Judge says he can't grant home confinement to Del. prison guard
- Ex-psychiatric hospital workers plead to criminal charges in Del.