WICOMICO COUNTY, Md. - The first day of school is less than a month away and several Wicomico County public schools are using a new tool to help students during the school year.
It's called the buddy bench. It's the newest feature on the playground.
It may be a simple idea, but it's a big way to create friendships.
The concept is quite simple all you have to do is sit down and one of your classmates will come to play.
Seven benches are scattered through out the county. They were built by the career technology students at Parkside High School.
The buddy bench is a great way to spot isolation.
These benches are specifically placed in front of the playground so all the children can see.
This concept was taken from other buddy bench stories across the nation. And Wicomico County public schools hope to be another success story in the books.
The donor of the buddy benches is also the creator of kindness bracelets. The bracelets are a way to count kind acts on your wrist. And every single dollar sold from those bracelets actually supplied the materials to build the buddy benches.
Benjamin’s Wear It Again in Salisbury sells those bracelets for $15.
We are told 9 more benches will be built this year. Benches will also be placed in Somerset County soon as well.
- UPDATE: Hours for Blades water distribution changes
- Officials investigate sewer system failure in Dover
- Sentencing set in military vehicle contract fraud case in Va.
- Officials: Dorchester Co. fire causes over $100K in damages
- Officials: Liberty St., Commerce St. project set for Feb. 20
- Flu death toll in Del. increases to 18