SALISBURY, Md. - A Salisbury native has been nominated for President Donald Trump's top healthcare position.
On Monday, President Donald Trump announced his nomination of Alex Azar II, of Salisbury, as the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS). ABC News reports that Azar is a former pharmaceutical executive for Eli Lilly and Company and worked as deputy secretary for HHS under former President George W. Bush.
The Salisbury Azar Eye Institute is reportedly owned by Azar's father, Dr. Alex Azar, an ophthalmologist.
Azar's nomination comes after former HHS secretary Price resigned on September 29, during an investigation into his use of taxpayer funds to allegedly use charter jets.
In a tweet, President Trump says Azar, "will be a star for better healthcare and lower drug prices!"
See President Trump's tweet below:
- Exclusive first look at SBY Marathon medal designed by local students
- One charged after fatal crash in Kent Co.
- Community rallies behind Berlin business after devastating fire
- Broadband networks to expand to Accomack County
- Meeting held to explain golf cart laws to residents
- Keeping pets protected as the weather heats up