SALISBURY, Md. - A Salisbury native has been nominated for President Donald Trump's top healthcare position.
On Monday, President Donald Trump announced his nomination of Alex Azar II, of Salisbury, as the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS). ABC News reports that Azar is a former pharmaceutical executive for Eli Lilly and Company and worked as deputy secretary for HHS under former President George W. Bush.
The Salisbury Azar Eye Institute is reportedly owned by Azar's father, Dr. Alex Azar, an ophthalmologist.
Azar's nomination comes after former HHS secretary Price resigned on September 29, during an investigation into his use of taxpayer funds to allegedly use charter jets.
In a tweet, President Trump says Azar, "will be a star for better healthcare and lower drug prices!"
See President Trump's tweet below:
- Two suspects arrested on gun charges after reportedly firing handgun into the air in Salisbury
- Police: Four arrested after search finds 220 grams of marijuana in Salisbury
- UPDATE: Causes of Sussex Co. fires identified; incidents caused over 900K in damages
- Multiple state attorneys general sue to block net-neutrality repeal
- Crisfield man sentenced in Somerset Co. sex abuse case
- UPDATE: Three guilty in 2017 store arson in Salisbury