SALISBURY, Md. - A Salisbury native has been nominated for President Donald Trump's top healthcare position.
On Monday, President Donald Trump announced his nomination of Alex Azar II, of Salisbury, as the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS). ABC News reports that Azar is a former pharmaceutical executive for Eli Lilly and Company and worked as deputy secretary for HHS under former President George W. Bush.
The Salisbury Azar Eye Institute is reportedly owned by Azar's father, Dr. Alex Azar, an ophthalmologist.
Azar's nomination comes after former HHS secretary Price resigned on September 29, during an investigation into his use of taxpayer funds to allegedly use charter jets.
In a tweet, President Trump says Azar, "will be a star for better healthcare and lower drug prices!"
See President Trump's tweet below:
- Food pantry giving away Thanksgiving dinner boxes
- DHSS looking for donors for Adopt-A-Family holiday program to provide gifts
- Ocean City recruiting summer police officers
- OC continues ongoing beach renourishment project that reduces coastal storm risks
- Made On Delmarva: Amused Studios
- County considers changes to scholarship fund