CENTREVILLE, Md. - (AP) - Authorities in Maryland say someone planted a tree and scratched "Earth Day 2017" in the dirt on the pitcher's mound of a high school baseball field in what may be a senior prank.
The Queen Anne's Sheriff Office said in a statement on its Facebook site that the incident was noticed Saturday at Queen Anne's County High School in Centreville. They say the tree sapling still had the $139.99 price tag attached.
Police say the field has since been repaired and they are investigating the planting as a senior prank. They initially said the damage to the field could amount to more than $2,000.
Authorities warned the destruction could be considered malicious destruction of property.
- UPDATE: Leader of Del. criminal network sentenced
- Wicomico Co. house fire results in $100K in damages; investigation ongoing
- Texas bombing victim accepted at Oberlin before death
- UPDATE: Del. court rejects appeal of woman in daycare death
- Former teacher, coach pleads guilty to child porn charges in Md.
- Woman convicted for role in 2017 chase in Wicomico County