BRANDYWINE, Md. - (AP) - Authorities say a police officer has been fatally shot while intervening in a domestic dispute in Maryland.
The Prince George's County Police Department said in a tweet that officers responding to the initial shooting shot and killed the suspect.
The department says the shooting occurred Wednesday morning in the Brandywine area, about 15 miles (25 kilometers) south of the nation's capital.
It says the officer was killed "while stepping in to protect a woman threatened in a domestic situation."
A police spokeswoman declined to give details about what happened, saying a news conference would be held Wednesday afternoon.
- National Women Build Week, local workshops
- Perdue rolls out new environmental goals for 2022
- Delmarva Star: Calling all local singers
- More road closures expected for the Salisbury Bypass
- Salisbury Zoo hosts 30 annual Earth Day celebration
- A mother's Facebook plea helps put a sex offender back behind bars