OCEAN PINES, Md. - Officials in Ocean Pines say a pit bull attacked a woman and two small dogs last Wednesday, sending the woman to the hospital for treatment.
Shortly after 11:30 AM, an Ocean Pines Police officer responded to Beaconhill Road for a report of a dog attack. At the scene, the officer found a 52-year-old woman sitting on her front steps with injuries to her left leg and right arm.
Witnesses told police that the woman and her dog, an American cocker spaniel, were leaving a home when a neighbor's pit bull began biting the woman's leg. Another neighbor, an 82-year-old man, reportedly ran up and began kicking the pit bull to get the dog to stop attacking the woman. Officials say the pit bull released the woman and then ran onto the 82-year-old man's property and attacked his small dog, a rat terrier-Chihuahua mix.
The man then grabbed a shovel and chased the attacking pit bull, along with another loose pit bull, onto a gated deck, officials said.
The woman was transported to Atlantic General Hospital by Ocean Pines EMS where she was treated for her lacerations. Officials say Worcester County Animal Control was called to the scene where they took the pit bull that attacked the woman to be euthanized.
Ocean Pines Police charged the dog's owner, Robert Leo Riden Jr., 47, with a leash law violation and two $100 uniform civil citations.
- UPDATE: Mistrial declared in Sussex Co. rape and kidnapping case; Dover man out on bond
- UPDATE: Trial begins for one of six allegedly involved in 2017 murder of Salisbury man
- DSP: Body found in Dover; death investigation ongoing
- UPDATE: Officials: Cause identified in Dorchester Co. house fire
- Transit police officer convicted in terrorism case regrets behavior
- U.S. Supreme Court rejects two gun rights appeals