EDEN, Md. - It's been a year since the Wicomico Yacht Club's building tragically burned down in a two-alarm fire, but now the club is rising from the ashes with a brand new updated building.
Construction began on the building back in August and officials told 47ABC the project is already halfway done.
The new building is raised high off the ground to prevent flooding and it features a new restaurant area, bathroom area, and indoor bar with an incredible view of the Wicomico River.
Wicomico Yacht Club members are looking forward to getting a fresh start and potentially attracting new members with their new building.
Peter Hanulak, the Commodore of the Wicomico Yacht Club said, "I think it's going to be a destination point for a lot of either marinas or clubs that want to come visit us and they will both be quite surprised and I think it's a building that the whole lower shore will be proud of."
Officials with the Wicomico County Yacht Club said they are hoping by May or June, the building will be open for occupancy.
- Public meeting on offshore drilling is set for Wednesday in Va.
- DNREC: Seaford water supply ruled safe after testing
- MSP: One dead after single-vehicle crash in Somerset Co.; investigation ongoing
- UPDATE: Hours for Blades water distribution changes
- Officials investigate sewer system failure in Dover
- Sentencing set in military vehicle contract fraud case in Va.