FRUITLAND, Md. - A Fruitland middle school teacher got a special surprise Monday morning after being honored as 47ABC's latest "Teacher Who Makes A Difference".
Bennett Middle School teacher Mary Laurenzano is the latest recipient of the award sponsored by 47ABC and Accurate Optical.
Laurenzano has been teaching at Bennett Middle for 13 years and this year, she teaches 84 students. Some of the students are in classes preparing for Algebra.
According to Laurenzano, one of the most important aspects of teaching is relationship building. She says her students teach her something new everyday; however, she also makes it a point to cheer them on outside of classes at games.
Laurenzano also adds it "takes a village" to build a successful classroom.
"I'm thankful for the staff that I have, the peers that I have because without them, we're not able to have good instruction," she tells 47ABC. "These guys make it fun, because it's one big family and it's all of the different personalities that make it great."
This is was our final presentation of the 2016-2017 school year; however, we have full coverage of past winners on our website 47abc.com.
- Pot hole season hits the Eastern Shore
- PRMC and ambulance company in hot water over Medicare fraud allegations
- Filing deadline quickly approaching for 2018 Gubernatorial Primary Election in Maryland
- UPDATE: Milton man charged in connection with fight at basketball game
- Judge says he can't grant home confinement to Del. prison guard
- Ex-psychiatric hospital workers plead to criminal charges in Del.