Man facing arson and assault related charges in connection with fire at Centreville home

CENTREVILLE, Md. - A man is facing arson and assault charges, after authorities say he set a fire and resisted arrest at a Centreville home. Authorities also say the smoke detectors and batteries were found scattered throughout the home.

The Deputy State Fire Marshals from the Upper Eastern Regional Office says on Monday, 21-year-old Evan Flynn, of Centreville, was charged with arson and other related charges after a fire that happened at his home, in the 700 block of Little Kidwell Avenue, in Centreville.

According to the report, on Tuesday, around 2:30 PM, firefighters with the Goodwill Volunteer Fire Department responded to the home after the home owner, Patrick Bere, noticed a small fire had burned itself out on the kitchen floor. Bere reportedly discovered the fire after returning home, and reported that the house had a strong odor of suspected gasoline. Officials say five firefighters ventilated to the home of the smell.

After further investigation by the Office of the State Fire Marshal, authorities determined that the fire and burned personal items in the home were intentionally set on fire by Flynn, Bere's stepson. No injuries were reported. The fire reportedly caused approximately $3,000  in damages to the home. According to officials, the smoke alarms were removed from the ceiling and found scattered throughout the house with the batteries removed.

According to the report, the Centreville Police Department found Flynn a short distance from the home while arriving prior to the Goodwill Volunteer Fire Department. Authorities say Flynn and officers were involved in a brief struggle. Flynn was then reportedly treated for non-life threatening injuries at Easton Hospital.

Flynn was later arrested and charged with arson first degree, malicious burning first degree, malicious burning second degree, malicious destruction of property over $1,000 and malicious destruction of property under $1,000.

If convicted, Flynn apparently faces a maximum penalty of over 39 years in prison and/or over $58,000 in fines. Flynn is also being charged with assault on police officer, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, fleeing and eluding police, and failure to obey the lawful order of police.

More Stories in the News