SALISBURY, Md. - The Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshal says the Tuesday evening fire at Johnny's Sub and Sundae Shop in Salisbury can be blamed on the spontaneous combustion of rags.
According to officials, a passerby noticed signs of fire at the business located in the 1100 block of East Main Street shortly before 9 PM. Salisbury firefighters responded, with 20 firefighters taking around 20 minutes to get the fire under control.
Investigators say the fire was accidental, originating in a rear storage room from rags that reportedly spontaneously combusted.
Damages to the structure are estimated at $1,000, while damage to the building's contents are estimated at around $1,500, officials said.
- Pot hole season hits the Eastern Shore
- PRMC and ambulance company in hot water over Medicare fraud allegations
- Filing deadline quickly approaching for 2018 Gubernatorial Primary Election in Maryland
- UPDATE: Milton man charged in connection with fight at basketball game
- Judge says he can't grant home confinement to Del. prison guard
- Ex-psychiatric hospital workers plead to criminal charges in Del.