DELMAR, Md. - The Office of the State Fire Marshal says a Monday evening fire in the Maryland part of Delmar was caused by an overloaded extension cord.
Shortly after 7:30 PM, firefighters responded to a blaze in a two story wood-framed home in the 300 block of Highland Avenue. Officials say it took around 30 firefighters nearly one and a half hours to control the fire.
The Delmar Fire Department reports that they were assisted by firefighters from Salisbury, Hebron, Parsonsburg, Laurel and Sharptown.
An investigation into the fire's origin revealed that the fire was accidental, starting in a bedroom with an overloaded extension cord. The monetary loss to the structure is estimated at approximately $120,000 with $10,000 in damages to the home's contents.
Fire marshals say the home did have a working smoke alarm. No injuries were reported.
- Pot hole season hits the Eastern Shore
- PRMC and ambulance company in hot water over Medicare fraud allegations
- Filing deadline quickly approaching for 2018 Gubernatorial Primary Election in Maryland
- UPDATE: Milton man charged in connection with fight at basketball game
- Judge says he can't grant home confinement to Del. prison guard
- Ex-psychiatric hospital workers plead to criminal charges in Del.