UPDATE: Suspect in Willards barricade situation in custody, identified

UPDATE: Suspect in Willards barricade situation in custody, identified

WILLARDS, Md. - The suspect in the Willards barricade situation has been identified as 25-year-old Alex Bartell, Maryland State Police confirmed. 

Officials say deputies from the Wicomico County Sheriff's Office first responded around 10 p.m. Monday to a home on the 36000 block of Poplar Neck Road after they received a "hang up" call.

On the scene, deputies say they found a distressed female victim and a child.

Elena Russo, spokesperson for the Maryland State Police, says Bartell locked himself in a bedroom where police were able to hear him breaking items. After hearing a gunshot fired within the room, the woman and child were evacuated from the area.

Russo told 47ABC Bartell was visibly pointing his weapon at police on several occasions.

Around 2 a.m. Tuesday, police say Bartell appeared at the front door of the residence and was pointing what looked to be a shotgun at authorities. Bartell was then shot in the right arm.

"The front door was wide open, so there were several times when the suspect was visible to police in the front yard," says Russo. "They could see him waiving around his guns. They saw him visibly point his long guns in the direction of the police and sheriff's deputies."

The round that struck Bartell in the arm was the only round fired by police, officials say. It was fired by a member of the MSP Special Tactical Assault Team Element, who has now been placed on administrative leave.

Bartell was taken to Peninsula Regional Medical Center and then transferred to Shock Trauma in Baltimore.

The woman and the child were also taken to Peninsula Regional Medical Center. Police say there were no other reported injuries as a result of the barricade.

Neighbors were also evacuated from their homes during the standoff. One neighbor told 47ABC she was let back into her home around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Bartell faces counts of attempted first degree murder, three counts of attempted second degree murder, multiple counts of first and second degree assault, reckless endangerment, and false imprisonment.


Police have confirmed no officers were hurt in the barricade incident off of Poplar Neck Road.

Around 10 PM Monday night, Maryland State Police assisted the Wicomico County Sheriff's Office in a barricade situation that involved one subject.

Police say that no officers were hurt in the barricade incident that occurred last night.

Around 2 AM Tuesday, Maryland State Police confirmed that they took the subject into custody.

Maryland State Police say that the subject was later taken to Peninsula Regional Medical Center. His condition is unknown at this time.


More Stories in the News