SALISBURY, Md. - A man is being treated for serious burns after a freak accident at a county landfill site.
Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis says the accident happened around 10 a.m.
The victim's name has not been released, but Sheriff Lewis says he is an inmate at the Wicomico County Detention Center.
He was part of a work release crew working at the landfill site on Brick Kiln Road in Salisbury.
We're told he was electrocuted and suffered burns on over 60% to 65% of his body.
Sheriff Lewis says his office is investigating but they believe this was an accident.
"He was operating a zero-turn riding lawn mower. He struck a guide wire which went into live wires and the guide wire was dangling and connected to the riding lawn mower which caused the riding lawn mower to catch fire."
Emergency responders had to use a fire extinguisher to get to the victim.
He is expected to survive and is listed in stable condition at the Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore.
- Police: No kids on Accomack County school bus during crash; investigation ongoing
- Bill: students could use sunscreen without doctor's note in Md.
- Officials: No one injured after garage fire spreads to home in Bishopville
- Man arrested in connection to assault in Talbot Co.
- Attorney: Gov. Carney ignoring ruling on court political balance
- County Seat Highway shut down after three vehicle crash in Georgetown