DEWEY BEACH, Del. - Two people are dead following a crash in Dewey Beach. The deadly collision took place on Coastal Highway near Saulsbury St.
The fatal incident occurred around 5 p.m. Saturday evening when officials say that two bicyclists were struck by a car and the driver of the SUV is in serious condition after hitting an electric pole.
The vehicle, a 2017 Chevrolet Suburban driven by a 61-year-old New York-man, suffered what is called an acute medical event that caused him to black out. The vehicle then crossed into the route 1 southbound lanes toward the Starboard, where two Washington D.C. men, ages 53 and 58 were standing while straddling their bicycles, striking the two men.
Both men that were struck were pronounced dead at the scene, while the driver was transported to Beebe Hospital for treatment. Impairment nor distraction is believed to be a factor in the crash.
If anyone has information regarding this incident please contact Cpl. N. DeMalto of the Troop 7 Collision Reconstruction Unit at 302.703.3267
- Hammond Taylor found not guilty in the murder of Tavin Molock
- Updated UMES takes extra safety steps for homecoming concert
- Updated Community leaders work to restore historical Crisfield cemetery
- Md. board OKs $2.4M contract for 911 text messages
- Police investigate multiple cases of credit card fraud in Kent Co.
- Md. students protest guns outside White House