DOVER, Del. - (AP) - Dover Police Department Deputy Chief Marvin Mailey has taken over day-to-day operations of the department as Chief Paul Bernat's retirement nears.
Dover Mayor Robin Christiansen announced Tuesday that Mailey will continue to serve in the role of chief during the search for Bernat's replacement.
Christiansen says he will follow the process to pick a new chief that was set in place in June 2015 - due in part to difficulties that occurred when Bernat was appointed Dover's 13th police chief in April 2014. The previous process allowed the mayor to directly appoint a chief without any input. The 2015 ordinance created a new process in which a selection committee sends its choice for chief to the city council for approval.
- Virginia says liquor stores will be open on July 4th
- Virginia Supreme Court to weigh police use of license plate data
- Officials investigating Easton dumpster fire
- Harrington woman arrested for allegedly stealing from Milford business for months
- Police searching for two suspects after reported Milford robbery
- Month long child abuse investigation in Laurel results in two arrests