SUSSEX COUNTY, Del. - A man is facing at least a decade in prison, after he pleaded guilty to repeatedly raping a teen which resulted in her pregnancy, in Sussex County.
The Delaware Department of Justice (DOJ) says on December 15, Omar Cameron, of Laurel, pleaded guilty to the charges of rape second degree, sexual abuse of a child by a person in a position of trust, supervision, or authority second degree, rape fourth degree, and endangering the welfare of a child. The charges stem from a repeated incident ending in early 2017.
During that time, Cameron repeatedly raped a teenage girl over a lengthy period of time, until one of the rapes resulted in her pregnancy. Authorities say after the victim's mother learned of the pregnancy, she reported the it leading to Cameron's arrest. DOJ officials say DNA testing confirmed that Cameron is responsible for impregnating the victim.
Cameron faces a minimum sentence of 10 years, with he possibility of up to 50 years in prison for his role in the rape. A sentencing date is currently pending.
Detective Tyler Bryan, of the Laurel Police Department, Deputy Attorney General Casey Ewart, and Social Worker Carla Ennals were involved in the investigation and prosecution of this case.
- Over 100 doses of alprazolam found in Dover; two charged
- Police: Man wanted after woman was slashed in assault incident in Salisbury
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Kent Co.
- UPDATE: Seaford man pleads guilty for role in shooting death of 18-year-old man
- Man arrested on child pornography charges in Dover
- UPDATE: Mistrial declared in Sussex Co. rape and kidnapping case; Dover man out on bond