GEORGETOWN, Del. - Police say that a Georgetown man was arrested and charged with vehicular assault after he struck a five-year-old child on a bicycle on Thursday evening.
Around 7:45 p.m., 26-year-old Rogelio Lopez-Perez was driving a 1997 Toyota Corolla in the Sand Hill Acres MHP. Lopez- Perez had reportedly gone into the park when he turned onto Widgeon Road.
Police say, Lopez-Perez did not see a five-year-old boy sitting on his bicycle near the edge of the roadway, and struck the young boy with the front of the car.
Lopez-Perez reportedly immediately stopped his car in the roadway once he heard the crash. The five-year-old child was taken by EMS to Beebe Health Care in Lewes where he was admitted with undetermined injuries.
Lopez-Perez was taken to Troop Four in Georgetown where a DUI investigation happened. He was later charged with first degree vehicular assault, driving under the influence of alcohol and driving without a valid license. He was arraigned at JP3 and committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on $4,100 bond.
- UPDATE: 7 more arrested in drug trafficking investigation; 25 arrests total
- Ocean City beach replenishment to get $2.45M in federal funding
- OCPD: Shop owner fined for selling untaxed cigarettes
- Body of missing waterman recovered from lower Chesapeake
- Two Philadelphia men sentenced for 2015 Dover murder
- Hogan vetoes bill restricting crime record use in school admission