SMYRNA, Del. - Delaware State Police have now identified the victim of a fatal crash that occurred at approximately 8:24p.m. Wednesday night in Smyrna.
According to a press release police say that 22 year old Wade W. Knight of Philadelphia was operating a 2001 Lexus along Smyrna Landing Road in the area of Brick Store Landing Road at an apparent high rate of speed.
After proceeding through the intersection with Brick Store Landing Road, without stopping at the posted stop sign, Knight lost control of the vehicle, veered off the road, and crashed into multiple trees. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Knight was not wearing his seatbelt, and excessive speed does appear to be a factor in the crash. It has not been determined if impairment was a factor.
Police say the road was shut down for 3 hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.
The investigation is ongoing, and anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Cpl. J. Breen of the Troop 2 Collision Reconstruction Unit at 302-365-8486.
- Over 100 doses of alprazolam found in Dover; two charged
- Police: Man wanted after woman was slashed in assault incident in Salisbury
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Kent Co.
- UPDATE: Seaford man pleads guilty for role in shooting death of 18-year-old man
- Man arrested on child pornography charges in Dover
- UPDATE: Mistrial declared in Sussex Co. rape and kidnapping case; Dover man out on bond