DOVER, Del. - (AP) - Authorities say a Dover motorcycle police officer was injured in a crash while helping escort a procession to the funeral of a slain state trooper.
Dover police said in a statement Monday that Cpl. Jason Pheiffer, an 11-year veteran of the force, was injured Friday as the procession traveled to Wilmington for the funeral of Cpl. Stephen Ballard.
As the procession merged onto state Route 1, police say Pheiffer passed to the left to get to the front, but another officer's cruiser swerved into the same lane. The motorcycle hit the cruiser, and Pheiffer was thrown from the motorcycle.
Pheiffer was taken to a hospital with a broken leg, facial laceration and other non-life threatening injuries. The Dover Police Department's Accident Reconstruction Unit is investigating the crash.
- Over 100 doses of alprazolam found in Dover; two charged
- Police: Man wanted after woman was slashed in assault incident in Salisbury
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Kent Co.
- UPDATE: Seaford man pleads guilty for role in shooting death of 18-year-old man
- Man arrested on child pornography charges in Dover
- UPDATE: Mistrial declared in Sussex Co. rape and kidnapping case; Dover man out on bond