GEORGETOWN, Del. (AP) - A Delaware man has absconded from a facility intended to transition offenders back into the community.
The Delaware Department of Correction said in a release that 34-year-old Mario Santiago failed to return to the Sussex Community Corrections Center from an approved work pass on Wednesday. The department says his whereabouts are unknown and unauthorized, and a warrant for escape after conviction has thus been issued.
The department says Santiago was convicted for attempted kidnapping.
The department says community corrections centers are not secured like some prisons, as offenders are permitted to leave to go to work, seek jobs or attend approved treatment sessions.
- Democrats unveil bill to ban assault-type rifles in Del.
- Del. woman, non-profit organization employee indicted on multiple fraud charges
- Unconscious driver arrested on DUI charges in Wicomico Co.
- Md. catholic school principal arrested on multiple DUI charges
- Smoke detectors being recalled as they may not detect smoke
- Mumps outbreak linked to Hispanic dance festival in Del.