REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - Rehoboth Beach Commissioners have adopted an ordinance to that will discontinue commercial trash and refuse collection, officials announce.
Commissioners voted to adopt the ordinance to amend Chapter 227 of the Solid Waste Municipal Code on Friday, March 17.
Krys Johnson, communication specialist for the city of Rehoboth Beach, says the city had been operating at a loss on commercial trash pickup.
According to Johnson, Delaware's universal recycling law requires all commercial businesses to participate in a recycling program. As a result, she says the city had spent roughly 8,900 dollars on commercial trash and refuse collection each year.
In a press release sent Monday morning, Johnson explained the city does not have sufficient staff and equipment to continue operating under this mandated regulation.
"We're reaching out to our customers to make sure and providing them with information about other private haulers that come into the city that they can contact," says Johnson.
Businesses affected by the change have the option of continuing and paying for city service between July 1 through December 31.
City officials say if customers plan to contract with a private disposal company prior to the next billing cycle of May 31, they will need to provide a copy of their new agreement. This way, the city can discontinue their service and avoid charging them for the six month period July-December.
The discontinuation is set to take effect January 1, 2018.
- Virginia says liquor stores will be open on July 4th
- Virginia Supreme Court to weigh police use of license plate data
- Officials investigating Easton dumpster fire
- Harrington woman arrested for allegedly stealing from Milford business for months
- Police searching for two suspects after reported Milford robbery
- Month long child abuse investigation in Laurel results in two arrests