BRIDGEVILLE, De. - The Delaware State Police Homicide Unit is conducting an investigation into the death of a suspect that broke into a Coverdale area home.
Police say that the incident happened around 11:50 p.m. Sunday night from the 11000 block of Iris Field Lane.
When troopers arrived at the home after a a 9-1-1 call, troopers found an unresponsive adult male near the kitchen area with a gunshot wound to the upper torso. The suspect, whose name is being withheld pending positive identification and notification of next of kin, was pronounced dead at the scene by Sussex County Paramedics.
Investigators have revealed that the male resident was at home alone when two suspects broke in. Reportedly A struggle occurred with one of the suspects that was armed with a handgun when a single round was fired, striking the suspect in the upper torso. The second suspect fled the scene in an unknown direction. The male resident was uninjured in the incident.
The second suspect that fled the scene was described as a male wearing all dark clothing and a mask over his face.
An investigation is ongoing at this time. Officials are conducting interviews and collecting evidence at the scene to determine the circumstances surrounding this incident.
Anyone with information in reference to this incident is asked to contact Detective M. Csapo at 302-698-8427 or Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333
- Pot hole season hits the Eastern Shore
- PRMC and ambulance company in hot water over Medicare fraud allegations
- Filing deadline quickly approaching for 2018 Gubernatorial Primary Election in Maryland
- UPDATE: Milton man charged in connection with fight at basketball game
- Judge says he can't grant home confinement to Del. prison guard
- Ex-psychiatric hospital workers plead to criminal charges in Del.