UPDATE: Man fatally shot during apparent assault on Wicomico Co. Sheriff's Deputy


SALISBURY, Md. - A Salisbury man was shot dead, after he apparently pulled his gun during an altercation with a Sheriff's Deputy on Dennis Street between East and West Road.

Maryland State Police say it all happened around 1:45 AM Tuesday morning, 14-year veteran 35-year-old Deputy First Class Benjamin Jones was on patrol in the area, when he noticed two people walking in the street near East Road. According to the report, Deputies had been alerted to a threat on Monday, about shooting up a house on Olivia Street, one block over, so the Deputy stopped to talk with the two pedestrians.

One of the men apparently stopped to talk to Deputy Jones, but the other, later identified as 25-year-old Fednel Rhinvil, continued walking. Police say the Deputy then again requested him to stop, and Rhinvil in turn, started running. The Deputy reportedly chased Rhinvil, and grabbed him as he was climbing a fence.

The investigation into the incident apparently shows that a fight started, during which the Deputy was pinned on his back on the ground, and as he was trying to escape, Rhinvil pulled a handgun from his pocket. The Deputy, fearing for his life, reportedly pulled his department weapon, and shot Rhinvil.

Investigators say they don't believe that Rhinvil fired his gun. Emergency crews responded to the scene, but Rhinvil was pronounced dead. There was reportedly a loaded and cocked revolver recovered at the scene, which has been sent to the Maryland State Police Forensic Sciences Division for investigation and analysis. Rhinvil's body has been turned over to the custody of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy.

The investigation is reportedly on-going at this time, and Police are continuing to work on finding residents in the area who may have witnessed the incident. The Maryland State Police Homicide Unit has assumed the investigation, and when completed, will pass their findings onto the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office for review.

Deputy Jones, who was treated for a hand injury at Peninsula Regional Medical Center after the fight, has been put on routine administrative leave, as is procedure.

More Stories in the News