TO: ALL STAFF
DATE: 20 MARCH 2017
HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING!
The first day of Spring brings a cheer to even the Grinchiest of human beings. It brought extra cheer to the heart of Meteorologist Sam Champion as he announced cheerfully on Sunday morning GMA that the first day of Spring invokes “clothing optional dancing” (if you’re home alone). Hmmmm….I wonder how his husband feels about that.
NETWORK CASTING CALL
Do you know of anyone in our market who wants to be on a game show and take a shot at winning $100,000? The Producers of $100,000 Pyramid are looking for contestants and will accept applications through the end of March. You can find the application link on www.abc.com . We are airing announcements to support our network’s project on air and on our website as a pre-roll. Per usual policy, Station employees are not eligible to enter, but your friends are. Be a buddy and tell a friend. If they win, maybe they’ll share!
MEET OUR NEWEST EMPLOYEE
Geoffrey Harris joined our News Team last Tuesday as part time Sports Reporter. Geoff comes to us most recently from WCHE 1520AM in West Chester, PA, where he was employed as News Director. His responsibilities there included writing and broadcasting daily news segments as well as recording and editing daily hourly reports. He also researched and wrote news stories, covering Chester County Council and School Board meetings. He was co-host of “The Sports Fan Base Network”, Philadelphia, PA, which aired on Comcast Network. Previous to that, he worked as Production Assistant. He interned at NBC Universal/Comcast SportsNet in Philadelphia. A graduate of Temple University, he holds a BA in Media Studies and Production. Please join me in welcoming him to our Team.
OUT IN THE COMMUNITY
Lenita Wesson was the guest speaker at last Tuesday afternoon’s Annual Women’s History Month luncheon at WorWic Community College. The theme was “Honoring Trailblazing Women in Labor and Business”. The event was hosted by the Cultural Diversity Committee. Lenita spoke about personal “Hash Tag” statements and how defining ourselves helps us shape the way others see us and opens up our potential to change the world.
• You have until the end of the week to sign up for your free 2nd quarter YMCA membership. See last week’s Monday Memo for details.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TICKET WINNERS OF THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS CHEERING SECTION FOR TRAVON MILES:
• Shane Johnson, Tracy Shrieves, Austin Johnson, Jessica Simpson, Darryl Baxter, Chantel Carroll, Shamara Smith, Don Gaul, Teri Monahan, Drew Prouse, Shawn Conaway, Dorionne Brown, Julian Sadur, Lissette Nunez, Dennis Goodman, Jordan Wharton and Travon Miles. See Tamara Horn for your tickets.
ANNIVERSARIES OF NOTE:
• Phil Comeaux will be celebrating his 5th anniversary with our Stations on Saturday. Thanks, Phil, we appreciate your many contributions to the success of our Stations.
FROM THE COMMUNITY
• We received a letter of appreciation from the Light of Literacy Awards for our support which helped to raise over $18,000 for the library and thanked us for supporting their cause again this year.
• St. John’s Preschool in Seaford sent us a note of appreciation for our donation of a WeatherCaster WannaBe to their auction, thus helping to raise over $10,000 for the school.
• Last week, we received a letter from a woman whose son’s therapeutic dog disappeared. We assisted in the search by doing a story. Some six months later, the family, who lived in Denton, received a call from a family in Camden, DE. They had found the dog! The happy reunion/ thank you letter is in the Station book on the coffee table in the Lobby.
SPECIALS THIS WEEK ON 47 ABC INCLUDE
• Tonight at 8 = 2-hour season premiere of “Dancing with the Stars”
• Tuesday at 10 = “People Icons: Gone Too Soon”
• Saturday at 8 = 2-hour special “Over the Hedge”
BIG DEALS THIS WEEK INCLUDE:
• Monday = Peaky’s in Princess Anne ($20 voucher for $10)
• Wednesday = Rio Motors in Frankfort, DE ($50 voucher for $25)
• Friday = Jet Carpet in Salisbury ($20 voucher for $10)
• National Umbrella Month
• National Women’s History Month
• Sing with Your Child Month
ALL THIS WEEK IS
• Maryland’s Severe Storms Awareness Week
• National Poison Prevention Week
SPECIAL DAYS THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Today is the first day of Spring
• Tomorrow is World Down Syndrome Day
• Wednesday is National Goof-Off Day (and)
Young as You Feel Day
• Thursday is National Puppy Day
• Friday is Chocolate Covered Raisin Day (who knew?)
• Saturday is Medal of Honor Day
WE CURRENTLY HAVE THREE IMMEDIATE OPENINGS:
• MCO (part time/ fill in): see Ken Evans
• Account Executive (full time): See Teri Monahan
• News Producer (full time): See Sarah Truitt
In-house candidates are encouraged to contact the respective Supervisor at their earliest convenience. If you know of someone who has the necessary qualifications and would be a good addition to our Team, please share the information about these openings with them. Brief job descriptions are posted on both bulletin boards and applications and more information can be found on our website. Marquee Broadcasting, Inc., along with its holdings, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Make it a great week!
- Adopt-A-Block bringing Christmas to hundreds of families
- Shred Fest aims to raise toys for tots
- Acorn Market debuts their first annual holiday carriage rides
- Comptroller Franchot visits local neurocognitive health clinic
- One year after fire, Wicomico Yacht Club is halfway through rebuilding
- Delmarva families follow a Christmas star to Bethlehem